The Oregon Department of Revenue invites you to take part in a discussion of the administrative rules for the state’s new Corporate Activity Tax. Traveling across Oregon, rule writers will sit down in a series of meetings over the next three weeks to hear the concerns, questions, and suggestions of those affected by the rules.
The full meeting schedule includes stops in Corvallis, Beaverton, Medford, Grants Pass, Eugene, Bend, Redmond, Hermiston, Boardman, Portland, and Salem. For out of out-of-state business taxpayers and tax preparers who are unable to attend the in-state meetings, DOR is planning a series of conference call meetings. Those meetings will be scheduled once the in-state tour is complete.
Remaining Corporate Activity Tax tour schedule:
- Tuesday, October 1, 5:30 to 7 p.m., OSU Cascades Graduate Research Center, 650 SW Columbia St, Bend.
- Wednesday, October 2, 7 to 8:30 a.m., Middle Sister Building, Deschutes County Fairgrounds, Redmond.
- Wednesday, October 2, 5:30 to 7 p.m., Hermiston Community Center, 415 S Highway 395, Hermiston.
- Thursday, October 3, 7 to 8:30 a.m., SAGE Center, 101 Olson Road, in Boardman.
- Thursday, October 3, 5:30 to 7 p.m., Portland State Office Building Room 1B, 800 NE Oregon St, Portland.
- Friday, October 4, 7:30 to 9 a.m., Oregon Employment Department auditorium, 875 Union St, Salem.
Department representatives will ensure two-way conversations throughout the meetings and do their best to answer questions from attendees. They’ll also seek input from attendees to help guide the rule-making process. Issues expected to be discussed at the series of meetings include:
- Who must register.
- When and how businesses register.
- Who must file and who must pay the tax.
- Annual returns based on calendar year activity.
- How commercial activity is defined.
- Exemptions for charitable organizations.
- Exclusions for groceries, subcontractors, wholesalers, and others.
- What counts toward the 35 percent subtraction.
- How estimated payments will be calculated.
- When estimated payments are due.
You can find more information about the Corporate Activity Tax, including a list of frequently asked questions, and sign up for email notifications about the CAT on the Department of Revenue website.
Those who are unable to attend but want to provide input can email questions or comments to cat.help.dor@Oregon.gov.